The Meridian Water Community Chest
A new Community Chest Fund has launched to help improve neighbourhoods closest to the new Meridian Water development in Edmonton. Available to not-for profit organisations, the funding will help to improve the neighbourhoods in the three Edmonton wards of Upper Edmonton, Edmonton Green and Lower Edmonton. As the Meridian Water development moves forward in delivering new homes, new infrastructure, new public realm and community facilities, partners (including developers and contractors) to the project are currently contributing into the new Community Chest Fund.
Enfield Council has now awarded more than £317,000 in funding to 19 projects delivering to the communities in the Edmonton wards that border the Meridian Water development.
The 19 winning project bids are:
- 10th Edmonton Scout Group (a scout trip to the Peak District for young people in Edmonton)
- Fleecefield Primary School (creation of new playground signage to support language development)
- Enfield Club House (creation of a new series of pottery workshops)
- Children First Academy Trust (a day trip for 60 primary school children in Edmonton to experience activities beyond their usual reach in both cost and access)
- Eldon Primary School (funding the new Eldon Art Club to enable to development of children’s artistic skills, creativity and confidence)
- FUTURE CHALLENGES (creation of new employment workshops aimed at 26 young adults/ ex-offenders in Edmonton)
- 1st Edmonton Boys Brigade and Girls Association (provision of new outdoor equipment to support the promotion of healthier lifestyles and outdoor activities for young people)
- 21K Digital Media Ltd (projects to help increase employability skills within the young BAME community in Edmonton)
- Third Age Foundation (creation of a new multi-cultural, diverse and inclusive choir)
- St John & St James Primary School (creation of a community mural project in Edmonton)
- Edmonton Community Partnership (creation of new sensory rooms in up to six primary schools in Edmonton. Extensive training provided for staff)
- North Star Community Trust (partnership with Age UK Enfield to increase engagement with the older community)
- Face Front Inclusive Theatre (a new free weekly theatre and performance group for people who are isolated and/or disabled living in Edmonton)
- The Gifted Organisation Limited (Work with residents of Edmonton to train them as project workers who will then deliver the Butterfly and Enterprise Wing programme in schools and community settings to over 200 vulnerable young women)
- Bread n Butter CIC London (to provide a 3-tiered healthy eating lifestyle programme (H.E.L.P) for predominantly BAME residents local to Edmonton Green)
- Legacy and DJ MC Academy (a programme developed to raise awareness about education and employment with the music industry)
- Jazanne Arts CIC (work with diverse isolated older people and vulnerable children through creative activities to create a performance/sharing about their common locality entitled ‘My home’)
- London CC CIC (tackle transport poverty and inequality by providing residents with the use of bikes via a long-term bike loan scheme together with follow up cycle training)
- 34Bus CIC (The Brighter Passage project will create a community mural in a rundown underpass on an estate in Upper Edmonton which is used regularly by members of the public. Through a participatory design process, they will work with the local residents, in particular the local youth who live on the estate to transform this underpass into a bright, colourful and unique piece of art that the local community can take ownership and have pride in)
Please note applications for the Community Chest round one have now closed but applications for round two will open later this year.
Sign up to the Meridian Water newsletter to keep up to date with the latest Community Chest news.